Zakynthos Greece is one of the most exotic Greek islands. Sitting in the heart of the mesmerizing Ionian sea, it boasts a wonderful natural landscape and magical beaches.
Exploring Zakynthos, you’ll discover picturesque hilltop villages, traditional monasteries, and dreamy natural landscapes. What’s more, the exotic Zakynthos beaches are home to the endangered sea turtle species Caretta-Caretta, which every year hide their eggs in the fine white sand of Zakynthos beaches.
The trademark of Zante, as the island is known in Italian, is the scenic Navagio (Shipwreck) beach. Many pictures and postcards have tried to capture its beauty, but the reality is far better! Only accessible by boat, Navagio beach has magical turquoise waters, white sand and is backed by dramatic towering cliffs. While the view from above is simply breathtaking, you should also experience a dip in its enticingly clear water. Apart from Shipwreck beach, though, there are many wonderful Zakynthos beaches you should visit, such as Laganas Zante, Gerakas beach, Vasilikos beach, and Spiantza beach. Some of these beaches are where the endangered Caretta-caretta sea turtles lay their eggs every spring and summer. You might be lucky enough to see them getting out of the sea to hide their eggs under the sand.
After exploring the emerald bays of the island, take a break from the beach life to visit Zakynthos Town, the capital of Zakynthos. Strongly influenced by the Venetians, who had also named the island “Fiore di Levante” (flower of the east), Zakynthos Town has many hidden gems to explore! Saint Mark Square, the Venetian Castle, Solomos Square and the Post-Byzantine Museum of Zante are some of the best places to visit in Zakynthos Town.
As for things to do in Zakynthos, you’ll never run out of options!
Zante is home to the Loggerhead Turtles.
They nest in Kalamaki, Gerakas and Vasilikos as well as the Island of Marathonisi
You can visit the National Marine Park of Zante, where they have various programmes in place for the protection of the Turtles.
During your tour in the National Marine Park of Zakynthos, you will have the chance to visit the Caretta caretta nesting beaches and see the oldest and most loyal visitor of the island, the loggerhead sea turtle, the Mediterranean monk seal Monachus monachus, a high biodiversity since it encompasses a considerable number of marine flora (>170 species) and fauna (> 300 species) expanding from the shallower to the deeper parts of the seabed, as well the richness of terrestrial habitat and flora species. Do not forget Falco eleonorae and the Calonectris dio-medea as well many other migratory birds, who cross the skies.
Stay at the Eco Friendly Belvedere Hotel – a short walk from the Turtles nesting site.
The following environmental points are:
• Installing biological treatments for the hotel based on approval of environmental condi-tions
• Recovering water for irrigation from treated wastewater in sewage treatment plant
• Disposing of treated wastewater in accordance with the requirements of law and envi-ronmental hygiene
• Monitoring and maintaining the quality of bathing water to the required standard by the legislative limits
• Replacing all common incandescent light bulbs with new energy saving light bulbs in all rooms (excluding common areas)
• Placing a special waste battery recycling bin in the reception area
• Using environmentally friendly detergents
• Using specific ‘energy-saving’ hot water tanks to reduce the heat by 20%
• Using automated devices on doors and windows to save electricity from air conditioners
• Recycling Bags in all rooms for the following products: paper, plastic, aluminum
Stay 7 nights in a superior room with Sea View, including Breakfast
Including return private transfers
Including an excursion on a glass bottomed yacht for 3 hours, visiting the Sea Park, Keri Caves, the Island of Marathonisi where the loggerhead turtles also nest and a swim stop from the Yacht. You may also be able to swim with a turtle if they are visiting.
Cost from £402 per person
• The above experience can be customised to suit your requirements
• We offer Hotels from 3 stars to 5 stars as well as self catering where possible
• Number of nights are flexible
• Please contact us for your bespoke quote