Known as the Ladies Chateau, in 1547 King Henry II donated Chenonceau to his favourite lady, Diane de Poitiers, renowned for her beauty, intelligence and sense of business. She created the unforgettable beautiful gardens at Chenonceau and by building the famous bridge on the River Cher, she made the architecture of Chenonceau unique in the world. Catherine de Medici removed Diane, raised the height of the two floor gallery as to organise glorious parties! When Henry III died, his widow Louise of Lorraine withdrew to the Chateau and went into mourning, in white. Her death marked the end of the royal presence at Chenonceau.
In the 18th Century Louise Dupin started a salon at the Chateau with the elite among writers, poets, scientists and philosophers – Voltaire and Rousseau were among such elite. In the 19th Century Marguerite Pelouze spent a fortune restoring the estate for it to resemble the way it was at the time of Diane de Poitiers.
£700 per person
- A 2 night stay in a 4* hotel in Tours.
- A full day privately guided visit to Château Chenonceau and Chateau Chambord.
- Wine tasting and Caves Duhard for Lunch.
- Private Guide and Driver.
For more details please do get in touch with the inspire me travel team by contacting us here.
• The above experience can be customised to suit your requirements
• We offer Hotels from 3 stars to 5 stars as well as self catering where possible
• Number of nights are flexible
• Please contact us for your bespoke quote